Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

Since I have become involved in online communities, I have constantly been touched at the kindness and generosity of virtual strangers on the internet. Some of the 'virtual strangers' even become real life friends. It's an amazing thing.

For the last week, I have been trying to get my Cricut (a die cutting machine for those of you that don't scrapbook) to talk to my computer. I had managed it a couple of times, but then the USB connection committed suicide, never to cooperate again, and I could not, despite hours of fiddling, numerous cables, ports, installation and uninstallation, make any progress. SO frustrating!!!

I finally posted about my problem in an online forum, hoping that someone had had a similar issue and solved it. Time went by, nothing helpful was posted, and I had pretty much given up hope. And then, a person posted a suggestion that had promise, and we ended up emailing each other and over a matter of days, we were able to solve the problem. Thank you so much to Todd in Michigan for taking the time to help a stranger. I could not have done it without you. I'd still be swearing at the computer. ;-)

No comments: