Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cookies

I'm a little behind posting about this, but in our house we are still trying to pick a cookie recipe a week to try. I've renewed my Martha Stewart cookie cookbook from the library for another three weeks. All of the recipes are actually available on the internet, but the boys just love sitting down with the book and picking a cookie to bake. The photography is just gorgeous, a full page photo for each cookie, but especially useful, there is a photo index in the front of the book which breaks the cookies down into categories - rich and dense, cakey and tender, and so on and shows a small photo of each one. It's a fabulous way to find a cookie quickly!

Anyway, it appears that Marty always picks chocolate cookies, and Ben always chooses cookies with nuts. The latter I can't send to school in their lunches, so that's a pain. When it is their recipe, I get full partipation from each boy in the kitchen. This makes me very happy, since as they grew older, they were not inclined to help bake at all.

So we tried Buttery Pecan Rounds (just press the cookie title for the recipe) and Giant Chocolate Sugar Cookies.


These were totally delicious to eat, but they didn't have a very appealing appearance. They spread so thin and flat during baking that my husband asked me if something was wrong with the recipe. I don't think so, it's because of the very high proportion of butter in the recipe, but they just don't look that good because of the very thin edges.
This cookie was very delicious and I will definitely make it again. Easy to bake and filled the house with the most amazing chocolate aroma! :-) I didn't make the cookies 'giant' - I shrunk them down to regular size so had to reduce the baking time a bit.

I think I will pick the cookie recipe this weekend. I have some cool Halloween cookie cutters and some themed sprinkles! Stay tuned..........

No comments: