Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Brrrrrrr

I'm a weather wimp. I have always gotten cold easily, and my favorite winter sport is sitting in front of a fireplace with a good book and cup of tea. :-)

But there is nothing worse than wind. Yikes! I had to work outside for a few hours this morning helping a grad student install some equipment, and the wind chilled me to my very bones. It must have been blowing from 70 to 80 km/hr from the north, and it took me many many hours to warm up.

So since it's the day after Thanksgiving, let me give thanks for two modern inventions that thawed me out and made me human again. And might make the winter bearable.

1. Heated car seats (aka Bun Warmers) - I have never ever tried these before, but by gum, I don't think I will ever buy a car again in which they are not standard. Simply marvelous!

2. Hot tubs - we put one of these in the basement many years ago when we bought the acreage, and there is nothing like submersing yourself up to your eyebrows in hot, hot water. Ah...........

No comments: