Friday, September 4, 2009

Into the Forest


This was an alternate selection for our book club last month. What 'alternate' means is that I got a book club kit from the local library with 8 copies of the book, and any of my friends that had the time or inclination took a copy to read. I love the library book club here in Strathcona County - the book bag is not only filled with enough copies of the books for a good size book club, but it generally also has discussion questions, related recipes and music cd's, the audiobook if available, pretty much anything you could wish for. And it can be signed out for 8 weeks, giving enough time for even the slowest reader in your group!

Anyway, the description of Into the Forest on the book jacket intrigued me, so I signed it out. I really enjoyed reading it, although I don't know if I liked the ending very much. But the premise of the book really captures the imagination, and it is frighteningly plausible.

Here's the description from Amazon:

Into the Forest is as breathtaking as one of the musty, ancient redwoods that share the woodland with Nell and Eva, two sisters who must learn to live in harmony with the northern California forest when the electricity shuts off, the phones go out, their parents die, and all civilization beyond them seems to grind to a halt. At first, the girls rely on stores of food left in their parents' pantry, but when those supplies begin to dwindle, their only option is to turn to each other and the forest's plants and animals for friendship, courage, and sustenance.

No comments: