Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hot Glue Embellishments

This is another technique featured in CSB #5, and is kind of fun for something different! You might be able to find some coloured glue sticks around - I have bought them at dollar stores and in scrapbook clearance bins, and I saw a bunch on ebay if you're so inclined, but regular clear glue will work too. Just stick a glue stick in a hot glue gun (if you don't have one, you can pick them up at the dollar store and it's handy to have more than one if you are working with a variety of colours) and use the glue to draw a design. I'm not much of a free hand artist, I like to trace something, so I will either stamp directly on a heat and stick sheet such as the one sold by Ranger and trace that, or lay a transparency over dingbats or letters printed on a piece of paper. With the heat and stick sheet, the glue peels off easily when it's cooled; with the transparency, pop it into a freezer for a few minutes and the glue will pop right off. Trim any stray strands of glue with scissors, and rub with Perfect Pearls pigment powder if desired. This looks great on the clear glue embellishments, kind of shimmery and translucent.



So, for this layout, I just printed out the title and some big flower dingbats onto a piece of paper, laid a transparency over it and traced it with pink glue. Easy and unique. Patterned paper is by Glitz Designs and the bird/branch chipboard is by Maya Road.

1 comment:

Just Rhonda said...

Super cute way to use the hot glue Connie!!