For the last little while, I have been trying to bake something on Sundays so that my kids have something yummy and homemade in their lunchbags during the week. I just don't feel right sending Oreos or other store bought cookies day after day, so I try to make a batch of oatmeal cookies, or puffed wheat squares, or something I know isn't full of trans fats and various preservatives. Sometimes I manage it, sometimes I don't. Depends how crazy the weekend is, but my boys and husband usually pitch in to help bake.
Sometimes this is a good thing, but it can also be a chemistry lesson. My oldest son was helping me measure dry ingredients a couple of weeks ago, and didn't bother adding the baking soda because he didn't know where it was. The cookies were oddly shaped, hard as hockey pucks and didn't crackle at all. They tasted all right, but the texture just wasn't there, so it was a good learning experience regarding the power of a teaspoon of a leavening agent. ;-)
I found this recipe for gingersnaps at http://www.allrecipes.com/, and it is absolutely delicious. We make them over and over, and I can't tell you how many kids have come through my house and said "Mrs. Nichol, these are the best cookies ever". So if you have an hour or two, make these. So soft and delicious, you can't eat just one. Theoretically this should yield about 5 dozen cookies, but they sure don't last long.
Soft Gingersnaps
1 1/2 cups butter (no substitutes), softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I usually replace one cup of all purpose flour with whole wheat flour; nobody notices and it adds a little extra nutrition)
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Additional sugar
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-12 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Don't overbake. I find ten minutes is perfect for my oven.

No comments:
Post a Comment