Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mmmmmm, waffles

Waffles or pancakes are a Sunday morning tradition in our household.   It's just something we've always done, and the kids love it and look forward to it.   Our waffle iron is an old one that my mom passed on to me.  I think we've used that thing for over 20 years, but it is looking very decripit and finally starting to act its age.  I saw a nice Cuisinart model on sale at amazon.ca a few weeks ago and ordered it in time for Father's Day.

Here's the one I bought (we like'traditional' waffles, as opposed to the Belgian ones that have the mega deep holes in them). 


I've used it only once so far, but really loved it.  And the waffle recipe that comes with the Cuisinart was super yummy.  I substituted in some buttermilk which makes them even yummier, but one does not always have buttermilk around.   When I do use buttermilk though, I reduce the baking powder by about half and double the baking soda.

Basic Waffles
2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-3/4 cups reduced fat milk
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs

Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine until well blended and smooth. Let batter rest 5 minutes before using.  Cook on waffle iron as per your machine instructions.
 

The traditionalists in the household like to eat their waffles with Roger's syrup.  Yum.  We buy maple syrup occasionally, but there is nothing like Roger's on pancakes and waffles.


Marty prefers his waffles with whipping cream and strawberries.  Lots and lots of whipping cream.  I usually keep one of those aerosol cans of real whipping cream in the fridge just for him.


 
Make your tummy happy!  If I have extra waffles, I freeze them so we can have homemade Eggos. 

No comments: