Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Karate Kids



The boys started karate late last summer. It was sort of accidental - we had started the year in TaiKwanDo, but rate increases over the summer made that martial art almost cost prohibitive, so we looked around at other options. I happened to see a small ad for Go-Ju Karate in our local recreation guide, so we tried it out and loved it. This karate club is a non-profit organization, so it is very reasonably priced, as well as being a great work out and a lot of fun. I also like the respect and discipline it teaches the kids. Ben was especially taken with it; Marty took a while to warm to the idea of doing push-ups and sit-ups and generally extending himself, but is now enjoying it. After many months of hard work, their first belt test occured this past Tuesday. Hopefully they will both earn their yellow belt, but we won't find out until the next lesson. Testing was a very serious and solemn affair, with numerous black belts jotting notes on clipboards. I was very proud of my boys, I know they did their best.

1 comment:

MonaS! said...

Good for the boys - glad to hear they are enjoying it.