Sunday, March 22, 2009
How do you decide
when it is time to put a family pet down? I am watching my cat Maggie decline rapidly from kidney failure and I am struggling with what to do. Maggie will be 19 this summer. Her kidneys have been failing for quite a few months now, but in the last couple of weeks she has seemed much worse. She sleeps all day and night, not even bothering to come sit on my lap any more or look out the window at birdies. Her eyes are dull and only half open, and while she doesn't eat much, but when she starts drinking water she might drink for 10 minutes to try and satiate her thirst. She smells really bad, I imagine from the failing kidneys, and periodically yowls for seemingly no reason at all especially at night. I worry she is in pain and not enjoying life at all and I will phone the veterinarian tomorrow........ Maggie has been part of our family for a very long time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Connie....sorry to hear this....thinking about you.
Jackie
Oh, Connie, I so understand what you're going through - we just had to euthanize our oldest dog. We struggled for quite some time over this, first with Jerry resistant since he was Caesar's best owner. But I'm glad we didn't wait any longer, until he was in severe pain. He, too, was sleeping about 23 hours a day & wasn't interested in the things that used make his tail wag.
It probably doesn't ease your hurt any, but you're doing the right thing.
Susan (from S! & we met last October at the craft fair in Edmonton)
Post a Comment