When I was growing up, I never got a chance to do an outdoor egg hunt. So, when my kids came along, I started hiding things outside so they would have the thrill of the hunt and it is something they very much forward to! The details have evolved a little over the last few years, but I always use those plastic eggs that snap together because most years, the Easter Bunny is hiding things in snowdrifts. :-)The boys get enough sweets in their Easter baskets and from relatives, so in the last few years, I have just put money in the plastic eggs. Rather than buying a bunch of extra candy, I clean out my change jar, divide up the coins equally and put them into specific colours. This year Marty collected pink and green eggs, and Ben was assigned yellow and purple. This prevents fighting and each child gets the same amount of money if they find all their eggs. I sneak out with a flashlight on Saturday night, and scatter eggs around the yard. I don't really 'hide' them very well because I want them all found before everyone gets cold.
It works for us. The boys are thrilled to get extra money (I usually throw in enough bigger coins so it adds up to $10 or $12 bucks per kid), saves me shopping for a bunch of sugary overpriced junk, it's easier on the teeth and adding up the coins was excellent math practice when they were smaller.

No comments:
Post a Comment