Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Issue


The summer issue of Canadian Scrapbooker is currently landing in mailboxes and magazine stands all over Canada.  If you don't have your issue yet, keep an eye out!  It's another gorgeous and inspirational issue. 

In my Frugal Scrapbooker column, I focussed on postcards this issue.  They are inexpensive and are great to use as an embellishment, a journalling spot or throw them together and laminate them to make a quick mini-album. 





In the Cows layout, I used the back of a postcard I had picked up at the dollar store to do my journalling on;  patterned paper is Bo Bunny and that's just scraps of yarn glued down to make the grass.

I also wrote an article about wood in this issue, and wood can be very frugal as well! One of my favourite finds is long rolls of thin wood veneer at Home Depot for around $7 - if you like the look of wood, this can be used to cut all sorts of die cut shapes and letters for a very minimal cost.





This is a two page layout but the pages were photographed separately.  The assorted size squares are from the craft aisle of my local dollar store.  I just dressed them up a bit with ink, paper and photos.   I used the thin wood sheets available from Stampin Up to make the title letters (ran it through my Cuttlebug with a Cuttlebug alphabet die) and the journalling block.  For the latter, I printed my journalling on a scrap piece or cardstock, adhered the thin wooden sheet to this with temporary adhesive and ran it back through the inkjet printer.  It printed on the wood very nicely!



I love the way this layout turned out - I dabbed a few colours of Ranger Industries crackle paint onto Riff Raff chipboard for a lovely peeling weathered look to match the elm tree Caitlin is hugging.  The gorgoues wooden butterfly is from KaiserCraft and the dark pink patterned paper is by Glitz Designs.

No comments: