Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Barbecued Lemongrass Beef

I tried a recipe from an old magazine today and it turned out pretty well!  So I want to post it to my blog for safekeeping (I am forever losing scraps of papers and pages torn from magazines ;-)).  The kids liked it because it is meat on a stick.  I liked it because it was quick, easy and reasonably healthy.  I had some top sirloin steak that I sliced thinly and put in the marinade before I went to work.  At supper time, I just threaded the beef onto skewers and delegated the barbequing to my husband.  I burn almost everything on the barbeque because I am always trying to multi-task.  And every time I turn my back on the barbeque, something bursts into flame.  :-(

Anyway, try serving with rice or rice vermicelli, some shredded carrot or cucumber, that sort of thing. I supposed you could roll it up in rice paper wrappers or something but that seemed like too much work on a school night.

Barbecued Lemongrass Beef

2 stalks lemongrass (I bought these at superstore for about 60 cents)
1 tbsp. sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. fish sauce (you can also buy at superstore or in the ethnic aisle of most supermarkets)
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 lb sirloin steak

Trim off ends and outer leaves of lemongrass stalks.  Smash stalks with side of knife;  finely chop light colored part only.  Combine lemongrass, sugar, garlic, fish sauce and sesame oil.  Trim fat off beef and cut into 1/8 inch strips.  Add to marinate, stir to coat and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Thread onto skewers and bbq over medium high heat for about 5 minutes until done.

No comments: