Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Best Icing!

If you like marshmallows................

My mom made this when I was a kid, and after rooting around on the internet for a while, I found the recipe again and made it for Ben's birthday. Since he asked for white cake and white icing, I thought this would make it at least a little more interesting than regular butter frosting. Ben also asked for a Pokemon cake, so my solution to that was to wash some of the little figures and stick them onto the cake along with some of those drink umbrellas from the dollar store. The kids loved it. I took the umbrellas off and replaced them with candles for the happy birthday ceremony!



Anyway, back to the icing. It's sweet of course, but I like it a lot better than regular icing. Seems less heavy somehow, and it might work particularly well for an angel food cake or something where a butter icing just wouldn't work. I know the kids will be asking for it again.

Marshmallow Cream Frosting

1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp. water
2 egg whites
1 jar marshmallow creme (the Kraft stuff in the photo is the only kind I have ever seen up here)
1 tsp vanilla

In top of double boiler, combine sugar, water and egg whites. Cook over simmering water, beating until soft peaks form. (Of course, I don't have a double boiler any more. I finally got rid of it a while back after not using it for two decades or so. So I just put a pot onto medium low heat, and kept beating with a portable mixer. Worked fine).
After soft peaks form, add the marshmallow creme and beat until stiff peaks form. Remove from heat; beat in vanilla. Frost cake and give each child a beater to lick clean.




No comments: