Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Satay Recipe

This is so easy and so darn delicious, it got my youngest son eating meat regularly. The kids love 'meat on a stick', especially since I let them eat it caveman style. :-)

The peanut sauce is also very very yummy, and it's a great meal to serve to company along with some steamed rice and some stir fried veggies or a salad. I've had a few people ask me for the recipe, so here it is. It's from the New Canadian Basics Cookbook by Carol Ferguson, one of my favoritest cookbooks ever. Enjoy.

Satays with Peanut Sauce
1 lb boneless chicken breast, pork loin or beef sirloin
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. EACH brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce

Cut meat into thin strips about 1" wide. Whisk together other ingredients and pour over meat strips. Marinate for 2 to 8 hours, and thread onto bamboo skewers. Grill until just cooked through, about five minutes.

Peanut Sauce
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
3 Tbsp. EACH granulated sugar, soy sauce, vinegar
1 Tbsp. EACH minced garlic, minced fresh ginger, dark sesame oil
1/2 tsp (or to taste) chile paste or hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup warm water or coconut milk

Mix all ingredients in food processor until smooth, adding a little more water if needed. Or, if I don't feel like getting my food processor dirty, I throw everything into a glass measuring cup, heat in the microwave to soften the peanut butter, and whisk until smooth.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Hey - you've been busy posting this week! Too bad about the newt - were the boys upset? Good luck with the new computer. We gave up on Windows and Microsoft and crossed over to a MAC this winter. It's amazing!! I do need to buy Photoshop for it though. Thanks for the recipe - I think Heather would enjoy it - I'm trying to make a few things for her to have on hand now that the baby is here. Hope you have a happy week!