Saturday, September 6, 2008

so I finally have a new computer

(which I have not set up yet) but I'm still a little bit steamed!!! Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety(er) :-)

I had just purchased but not set up a desktop package from Costco when the Best Buy flyer came in the newspaper. For the same price I had just paid, I could get a much bigger hard drive, a bigger monitor and a free HP colour printer. Um, okay! So I went online to Bestbuy.ca, and they had a 'pick up in store' feature, where your online order would be filled and ready within three hours. So I bought the computer and printer. Received an email in a few hours that the order was filled and ready to go. And then I went to Best Buy to pick it up the next day.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it follow that the order would therefore be filled and ready to go???
Um, nope.
It took almost 45 minutes of standing around AFTER I was served to get the computer. There is apparently no place where the Best Buy store actually collects and puts online orders, and they had to get a guy from the computer department to get the computer and he was busy, and couldn't find it. And so on. And there was no printer. The young girl that was providing 'customer service' told me that they were sold out, and there were no rain checks. Even though I had an email stating that I had purchased a printer and that the order was 'filled'. Sigh.

Although I came perilously close to just walking out, and returning to my slightly more expensive but amazing customer service Costco computer, a slightly older teenage manager with attitude finally decided that Best Buy could give me another substitute colour printer after I made a fuss.

So I sucked it up and bought it. I might regret it. If there is ever the slightest problem with this computer, I KNOW I will regret it. But at the time, I kept thinking how I could store so many more photos on a 500 GB hard drive, and how the kids could print out their own Pokemon cards with a free colour printer.

Anyway. Be very very cautious when you are using Bestbuy.ca and picking up in store. I don't actually think I'll go there again. At least not for a long long time. Wish me luck that I don't have a lemon of a computer.

No comments: