Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My New Camera Bag


I am in love.  I have been coveting a purse like camera bag for some time now.  I figured they would be so handy when doing any kind of travelling, or even coming to work!  These bags don't look like a camera bag but give some good protection to your dSLR and associated equipment..  I always feel a little odd going into downtown Los Angeles or Chicago with my Canon slung over my shoulder - it feels like a big neon sign - TOURIST!!!  ROB ME!!!   LOL, well really, when you have many $$$$  worth of photographic equipment hanging around your neck, it feels kind of weird.

Anyway, I have been looking around for a while, nothing seemed quite right (too small, too ugly, too expensive) and then I found a bag I just loved on Etsy, at Porteen Gear.   It seemed perfect.  Robyn Porteen is an award-winning photographer who designed a wonderful camera bag and is now custom making them for others.  Beautiful design, roomy enough to store a dSLR body, a couple of lenses, an external flash and miscellaneous purse type stuff, and custom made with your choice of fabrics, leathers and other materials.  So many options that it will take a long time for the indecisive to choose........  so many stunning combinations that I wish I could afford a handful of these camera bags.

I ordered one as a birthday present for myself and it came yesterday.  Happy early brithday to me.  If you want one for yourself, plan ahead.  This was not a fast process - after I ordered the bag, it took about three weeks to make, and then took about four weeks through the US and Canada postal systems.  Thank goodness it is here safe and sound, beautifully wrapped with a small zippered pouch and card case included.  Definitely worth the wait, and I'd recommend a Porteen camera bag to anyone.  Here's some quick photo's I took:






I don't have a suitable photo showing how much stuff you can put into this bag, but it's substantial!  If you're interested, this particular bag design was chosen with a bit of help from Robyn from the choices on her website here and features Brown Medallion fabric, chocolate brown leather, brown strap, cinnamon interior and brown waxed canvas. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I have been looking for such a camera bag! Awesome! Most camera bags scream "grab me as I am full of expensive equipment". Plus I want to be able to take my camera with me many places as well as purse contents. I repeat.. AWESOME! Thank you for sharing.

taniamc said...

Thanks for the review. I have been looking for a bag for a week and I think I have narrowed it down to 2 sellers lol. Honestly, I'm leaning towards this one. So... that was easy. :)

mothersuperior05 said...

AWESOME! Just what I need :) Thanks for sharing.

Sandy

Jill said...

Oh that is SO pretty! I didn't think camera bags came like that!!!! I already have one more bag than I actually need, otherwise...