Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mosaics

I have always loved the look of mosaics.  My neighbor Kim does amazing mosaic art with bits of broken tile, and there is just something so neat about using little bits of something to make a picture.  All of us scrapbookers have plenty of bits of paper, so with a little patience (and a sheet of two-sided adhesive), paper mosaics can be a perfect solution to using up scraps and having a little artistic fun.  If you haven't, be sure to check out the Mosaics article in the fall edition of the Canadian Scrapbooker magazine.  Here's a couple of my layouts from that article:


Photo mosaics are easy to do - on the back side of the photo, mark out 1" squares with a pen and ruler.  Number each square from 1 to 16.  You would be amazed how difficult it sometimes is to put a picture back together when it has been cut into sixteen pieces!  Numbering saves a lot of time.  Adhere the squares to a piece of cardstock with a thin border in between each square.  That's it.  You can keep going, and cover a page, as I did, or just make a mosaic out of one special photo.


The paper mosaic ducks are made using a Spellbinders duck die and two-sided adhesive sheets.  Patterned paper and brothers quote is by Quick Quotes, little paper flag is by Nikki Sivils. 



And mosaics can make an impressive card!  Cut a piece of two sided adhesive, stick one side to a piece of cardstock, put bits of paper on the other side (I used bits of JilliBean Soup), then cover with glitter or fine sand to fill in the sticky gaps between paper pieces.  Shake off the excess powder, add a sentiment and a bit of ribbon, and you have a beautiful card.  Have fun!  They all turn out a little bit different. 

1 comment:

kdgowdy said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE that flower mosaic page you did at Bull River! It inspires me to do one!